Synthase is an online music school that cultivates 21st century creative skills and practice.
For Music Learners
Our goal for students is musical fluency. We take lots of different approaches to work toward that goal.
We have some great free resources:
- A game called Chordle
- YouTube videos
- a kind of chord delivery service called Chord Vitamin
- a Discord community
And even better paid resources:
- a book called The Synthase Guide to Chords
- an online course called Chord Candy
We also have live online lessons and group classes (and they’re not just about chords). Classes are now in session for the Spring 2023 term.
For Teachers and Schools
We serve as a floating composition and theory team for a variety of teachers and schools, enriching their existing programs with lessons and classes that would not otherwise be available to their students. We have two models for how that partnership can look:
- Music schools and independent vocal/instrumental teachers offer seats in our lessons and classes to their students. Students receive a discounted rate and teachers or schools receive a portion of their enrollment fee.
- For larger institutions, we teach private online classes for their students, customizing them to meet the needs of the school.
Who we are
Synthase was founded in 2021 by Nate May while completing his doctorate in composition at the Yale School of Music. The following year he was joined by Huijuan Ling, a Ph.D. candidate in composition at Duke. Both are passionate educators with innovative and student-centered approaches to passing on a love and understanding of music.
To get the latest ideas and opportunities from us, join the 1500+ people on our email lists: